Not all teachers are qualified to teach pupils/adults with dyslexia, not even if they have extensive special needs experience. Specialist Dyslexia Teachers undertake further specialist training such as RSA/OCR Diploma/Certificate, Dyslexia Institute Diploma and other University-Accredited Courses, which are nationally recognised. Therefore it is vitally important to ensure that any tutor you pick is suitably qualified to teach you/your child, otherwise their involvement could do more harm than good.
There are a limited number of suitably qualified specialist teachers available locally. Some may well be fully booked or have a waiting list. Some are prepared to teach during school hours in or out of school. Others teach evenings/weekends.
Make sure that any specialist teacher you approach:
- Is suitably qualified with a Dyslexia teaching qualification (The Dyslexia Centre is happy to advise).
- Regularly updates their knowledge with suitable courses.
- Has references available.
- Has Certificates confirming police checks.
When he/she is teaching, you should also endeavour to check that the teacher:
- Is prepared to follow the recommendations from any psychologist’s, Specialist Teacher’s, school reports etc that are available.
- Follows measurable targets.
- Uses a ‘multi-sensory ‘approach. Examples include programmes such as Hickey, Alpha to Omega, Jolly Phonics, Phonographixs, Nessy etc
- Are able to deal with other issues such as attention/concentration, motor difficulties, self-esteem, study skills, personal organisation, as appropriate in order to meet the needs of the ‘whole person’.
- Has computer software to reinforce what the child/student has learnt and to provide alternative forms of recording/study aids.
- Ensures that the teaching is motivating and interesting, not boring.
- Will liaise with the school as necessary.
- Gives homework each week.
- Checks at regular intervals to ensure that progress is being made and is able to provide evidence of progress.
about us | starting point | assessment choices | costings | specialist dyslexia teachers
courses available | contacting us